Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Outsourcing

This year I've decided to join two homeschool co-ops to take classes from.  Last year we were members in one co-op, but the classes the girls took were mostly recreational.  This year I decided to make better use of our outings and sign up for science classes in addition to the fun classes.  I no longer have to worry about any science while we're home, and they still get some fun classes like gymnastics and logic. 

The pros of being in my co-ops outweigh the cons.

Pros:
1.  I relieve myself of teaching an entire subject.
2.  The girls get to take those classes in a group setting with hands on activities.
3.  We are forced to organize our schedules to accommodate the classes which makes us more organized.
4.  I get to talk to other adults on those days, and my kids get to hang out with other kids.
5.  The kids get to be influenced by other adults of my choosing during co-op.
6.  Being busy and out of the house 2 of 5 days helps us appreciate the quieter days at home.
7.  If I wanted to, I could take some reading or handwork to do while I wait.

Cons:
1.  I have to do a lot of 'sitting and waiting' which makes me a little antsy.
2.  We come home fried.
3.  I can't really think of many cons!

One co-op has been running for many years and is very well run.  The second co-op is in its second year and is still trying to establish its foundation.  In both co-ops parents have simple jobs that help things run smoothly such as basic cleaning up, helping teachers pack up, and running the reception table.  Parent input in welcomed and we hire teachers to teach the classes.  I like that my older children can take challenging classes to keep them engaged and working hard as they get into the higher grades. 

In one co-op, the classes are offered only on Tuesday.  You look at the schedule and sign up for as many classes as you want that day, and that is your co-op day.  I like that it isn't spread out over many days.  That way you aren't ruining your other 'home' days by having to pack up and leave for a few hours. 

The other co-op offers classes on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, but I chose to only take Wednesday classes because of the time it takes me to get there and get home.  If it were closer I might consider taking a class on a different day, too, but as it is now, the whole round trip out makes us all tired.

The workload is very light on co-op days as far as what I expect from them at home.  Math is done daily, and then I usually tack on some type of grammar or writing on co-op days.  They can usually bring their work with them to do in their down hour so that they don't have too much to do when they get home.

All in all, I am so happy we have these options here. I didn't have this network while living in Plano.  We were home all day every day unless I took them on a field trip.  Here in Seattle I have a huge network just by being a member of these two groups.  It's so good to be with moms of a similar mindset.  We help each other work through decisions and issues while benefitting from each other's support.  I'm really thankful for this great set-up.

this is a marble run made  out of foam tube during physical science class

No comments:

Post a Comment