Friday, March 30, 2018

Paper Towel Swap Out

I quit using paper towels for a while back in 2007.  I kept a stash of cleaning cloths in the kitchen in a handy spot for everyone to reach.   I showed the kids to use those cloths to wipe up spills and to wipe off countertops.  It worked really well, but somehow over the past few years I've gotten back to using some paper towels.  Once you start using some, you use more.. and more!  So, I got some ideas from people trying to adapt a zero waste lifestyle and got a little solution set up for myself.  

I borrowed some pinking shears from a neighbor, picked 5 old white undershirts from my husband's closet that he's been wanting to get rid of, and cut those suckers up into squares.  They're not exact, but they are roughly 8"-10" square.  I got over 60 squares!  

I keep most of them stashed in a drawer in the kitchen and told everyone to go ahead and use them whenever they'd want a paper towel.  They're small and easy to use.  If they cleaned up something super gross then I rinse it out in the sink.  If they're just kinda dirty then I toss them directly into a bucket I have stashed inside a cabinet.  This bucket is a white dishpan I bought from Fred Meyer years ago.  It doesn't have any cleaning solution in it or anything, it's just sitting there collecting the dirty rags.  About once a week, or more often, I run the contents of that bucket in the laundry.  It's been very convenient especially since there are well over 60 of those rags.

With some of the rags, I created a jar of homemade disinfecting solution that I stuffed about 20 of those little rags in.  I found that recipe from another blogger.
http://naturesnurtureblog.com/homemade-cleaning-wipes/ 


Below is a picture of the cleaning solution jar. I used a quart jar which fits the liquid to cloth ration perfectly.


The rest of the cut up squares are in a handy drawer, and I've gotten all members of the household to grab these instead of paper towels (which are no longer found in the kitchen).

It's been over a month since I've adapted this and I feel so good about the reduced waste.  Small steps!

No comments:

Post a Comment