Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Wheat/Oat Bread

I tried a different homemade bread recipe yesterday, and boyyy was it delicious! Thanks to my step-sister for the recipe, I was able to have 2 fresh loaves of bread for dinnertime with no stress! It uses instant yeast and has only 1 30-minute rise, then you bake it. Now, I was uneducated on the differences in yeast and used regular active dry yeast. No no no... you need *instant* yeast. Apparently, bread machine yeast is also instant yeast, and what a shame that the jar of bread machine yeast was right next to the jar of active dry yeast because I picked the wrong one. The bread tasted fabulous, but due to the yeast problem it was too dense and not fluffy enough. I'll tr it again tomorrow though. I use the dough hook on my mixer on speed 2 for 8 minutes, shaped the loaves, then let them rise. Give it a try:

2 cups warm water
1/4 cup oil
1 cup oats
3 T honey
2 tsp salt
5 cups whole wheat flour
4 tsp instant yeast
* mix in mixer 8 minutes
* grease 2 bread pans and split dough between them
* rise 30 minutes covered in 80-degree oven (I put oven on lowest temp then turn off. Cover my bowl with dough with dishtowel.)
* Bake at 350 for 30 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment