Saturday, July 10, 2010

What's next

Assalamu alaikom
I still love my wooden garden box I got earlier this year. The crops I planted in it this spring didn't turn out well, but I think I can improve the situation for next time. For starters, I can block the air ducts where some parent birds set up house. I think they did the most damage to the new little seedlings. Secondly, I can make sure they get tons of water as I suspect I might not have given them enough at first. Third, I don't have a third. I'll just try, try again! I think July is actually a good time to put in seeds for fall crop, so I will get to researching that insha'Allah.

I also still love my wooden composting box I got earlier this year (or was it end of last year?) I filled it and it sure stank, but it finally turned into good ol' black gold. The only thing holding me back from starting it anew is that I'm afraid I don't have enough materials besides kitchen scrap, and that will cause more stink and more fruitflies. I noticed my neighbor has a lot of cut grass heaping up in piles in his yard! His grass got really long, and it looks like he had a hard time cutting it b/c he only cut some of it. And what he did cut is sitting there in piles. If I could guarantee that kind of stuff regularly I wouldn't hesitate, but I don't have that kind of grass.

Soooo.... I do have on big fat confession. Coming back from our (almost) 4 weeks in Jordan, I found it hard to cope being the sole grown-up with 4 young children. During the trip I had my mom and my husband with me at all times, and at my inlaws house I had my MIL and their maid around as well. So when I found myself alone with the kids the following Monday morning after getting back I felt like there surely was no way I could go back to doing it solo. What's the confession you ask... I buckled and let my husband buy paper towels again to make clean-ups a little easier. *gasp* I know, it's shocking. LOL I said 'yes' and then 'no', and then I said 'fine just get them'. He said to me: "You're really struggling with this aren't you". Yes!!! It's the principle of it!!!! So now I *sparingly* use the paper towels, and I hope it's something I won't buy more of in the future.

Till next time....
Z

No comments:

Post a Comment