Sunday, April 17, 2011

Green Smoothie

Assalamu alaikom folks,

I've been feeling too full these past two weeks, and, alhamdulilaah for all the food that I have, but I feel like I've been eating the wrong foods.  I've gotten used to eating within a certain range of calories, and not only that but eating well.  This means less refined and packaged foods and more fresh foods and veggies.  So tonight I decided not to eat any of the leftovers in the fridge.  I made a green smoothie instead.  I normally make them with spinach, but tonight I didn't have any so I used some red and green leaf lettuce.   All in all this is what I used:
2 dates (pitted of course)
1 banana
1 red apple, peeled
frozen peaches
frozen strawberries
1 cup of red and green leaf lettuce
1-2 cups water

I pureed these till nice and smooth.  It turned out pretty good even though it was different since I'm used to spinach.  There was a touch of bitterness.

I searched a little bit and found a recipe I'm curious to try with kale.  Not a big fan of it.  It is, however, very healthy.  So I might pick some up IF it is convenient for me b/c as you know, after menu planning on Friday, we buy our weekly groceries over the weekend.  Otherwise it will end up on next week's grocery list :)
Check this recipe out:

Kale Banana Smoothie:

Put 1 banana, 2 cups chopped kale, 1 tsp maple syrup, 1-2 tbsp flaxseeds (optional) and 1/2 cup brown rice milk into a blender and blend! (I like to add a few ice cubes for summertime refreshment).
It will take a few minutes for everything to puree so be patient. It ends up being a lovely vibrant green colour - very fresh and uplifting!
Taken from Here!

Let me know what you think if you try this kale one out.

No comments:

Post a Comment