Thursday, August 7, 2014

First Grade Homeschool Choices

First grade is the year I begin more structured instruction.  My child can sit for 20 minutes and engage in a topic with me.  Reading the list below of the resources I use might seem long and overkill, but trust me when I say they get done in just a few minutes.  First grade should need only about an hour of seat work per day.  And it certainly doesn't have to be done all at once!  Sometimes sitting the child down with spelling and handwriting while you get dinner ready is just the right thing.  Here is a list of what I've used before for First Grade, and what I plan to use with my next first grader Insha'Allah.  As always, I advise you, the parent, to preserve the relationship over the curriculum.  While not all days are happy and smooth, you don't need your homeschooling hours to be full of stress, tears, and screaming.  Make dua and start small.  It's a journey for both you and your precious child.

Language Arts:

Spelling: Spelling Workout A and B (my first grader had already learned how to read and level A was too easy for her) (4 days a week about 10 minutes each)

Handwriting:  Handwriting Without Tears Level 1 (daily for 5-10 minutes)

Grammar: First Language Lessons Level 1  (3 days a week)

Writing:  Writing With Ease Level 1  (4 days a week)

Reading: Leveled readers from the library, practice phonics. Read aloud from many suggestions found online or in First Language Lessons/Writing With Ease.

 

Math:

I used Math Mammoth which you download in PDF and print pages.

Check out Math U See and Singapore Math.  The publisher websites often have sample lessons.

Saxon Math is very parent intensive K-3.

 
History:

Story of the World Volume 1: Ancients with Student  Activity Guide

 
Science:
Real Science Odyssey which follows the recommendations in The Well Trained Mind, it’s just all printed up and ready to go for you.  Again, check publisher websites for sample lessons.

There also Mr. Q's  science which is easy and Level 1 (which you would use) is free. You download it to a computer and print as needed or just read it together off the screen:

 
Art: crafts, there are learning DVD’s you can use or just from library books.


Islamic Studies: I Love Islam or a schedule of reading from some book you like.


Quran: Sometimes, a morning meeting of 15 minutes at the kitchen table to recite memory work from the Quran is effective.  You could use that meeting time for any Quran/Dua related memory work.  Quran classes at the local masjid can be great at this age.
 
Arabic:  www.ad-duha.org is good for handwriting and connecting letters.  I used it one year and since the instructions are in English, the kids could work on it themselves. I’m thinking of getting a book for Aisha this year.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment