Wednesday, January 13, 2010

small steps

Assalamu alaikom wa rahmatullah,

Thank you to those of you who pop in and read my blog. I don't know how many people view it or read, but I hope it provides something positive for those of you who do come read!

My thought for this morning is about spirituality.
Since I've moved away from my Muslim community in Seattle, I've definitely felt a void. I miss being around other women who share my deep interest in striving for the sake of Allah, to raise my children knowing Allah and wanting to live by His law. And for those of you who aren't so familiar with it, it's about worshipping One God, praying daily (for guidance, among other things), adopting healthy habits that strengthen your character and body, and being kind and merciful. Yep, sounds familiar; it's all the good things you want in life, right? :) My friends who are practicing Christians have similar goals for themselves and their families, and it's been a common interest for us.

The things is, no matter what your faith, it's not easy to find people who are fervent about practicing their religion in their day-in and day-out. And this is what I DID have back in Redmond that I have yet to find here. Being reminded about God's mercy and plan, being encouraged to start certain habits in my home, and gathering for the sake of remembering God are all things I miss. Sure, I theoretically 'know' what I 'should' be doing, but having friends nudge you along helps. And I do the same for them, too. It's a two way street.

I have a new plan that I shared with my husband and hope to start in our home. After all, you can't change the people around you, so it's best to start with yourself. I am going to start speaking in a softer voice and try to limit outbursts. I know (and can see it) that it makes my childen edgier and more nervous when I act out in anger (even just shouting). They take it more personally than I mean for it to be, and that's because they are little. Next thing is to come up with a few (2-4) short family 'rules'. These will be positive actions that we all agree on that will help us improve our character and our remembrance of God. I want short and simple. And I want it to be something easy to remember and easy to embody. Lastly, I want to praise them more each day for their good decisions, actions, and behavior.

Thanks for reading this far! If you feel the same or have started something like this, I'd love to hear how it's worked out for you.

2 comments:

  1. Good morning, Hubbitti.
    I love your blogging!
    The area where the "Reactions:" checkboxes are doesn't completely expand, so I cannot see what my opinions are for "reactions." Can you fix it?
    Hope you have a wonderful day and that the girls are feeling better.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks mom! i'll look into the comment thingy.

    ReplyDelete