Saturday, January 30, 2010

Of marriage and other things

I realized something today, and I am actually very happy to come to find this out. It's something I think I took for granted. Not so much because I meant to, but because it was just part of the background. It took an encounter with someone who was the complete opposite of it to make realize what 'it' was. So what is 'it'?

It is something that my husband and I have in common, and it kind of sets the tone for our life. We are both pretty laid back about most things, or at least about the same things. And our outlook on things is very similar to the other's. I know that if one of us were not like this, it would seriously complicate all major decisions in our life. If both of us were not like this, then we'd probably be fine, but my point is that I am so thankful that we are both of the same mindset. This is really a blessing, and like I said, I didn't really give it much of a second thought (well, I probably did think about it before we got married, but not since then) because it is just there and it works well.

To add, we both strongly believe that Allah's will will be, and there's not much you can do about it if it is meant to be. We pray about things and ask for guidance, and then we just go for it. Mostly I'm referring to things like having children, where to live, and similar 'big' family decisions. Alhamdulilaah, thank God, our decision making times have not been of a clashing kind. We have an idea of what we would like, we try to get it, and when we do we are thankful, and when we don't we are also thankful.

This hit me today as I remembered a conversation. The people I was talking to were surprised that we kept having children without seriously thinking it over, making lists of pro's and con's, and discussing this major life changing event. I told them we just would feel like it was time for another baby, and if I suggested it my husband would say 'Sure!'. They couldn't believe it was that easy. I couldn't believe they suggested a list of pro's and con's!!! So after that, I thought, man, am I fortunate to have a husband who is similar to me in this aspect. We believe each child brings his own sustenance/provision and not to worry about the money part of having a baby. We both felt comfortable having a large family, and we both also understood that if one of us felt it was time to say 'no' that the other would take that seriously.

So yay for finding a huge *positive* detail in my married life! It's always fun to come across those :) I know I don't normally post about my too-personal life, but this was such a big deal that I had to share it! Maybe you can find something similar to be thankful for. And if my dear husband is reading (since I caught him reading this the other day), then thank you habibi :)

No comments:

Post a Comment