Thursday, September 23, 2010

time flies.. is that a good thing?

So we're getting done with our homeschool work remarkably easily and quickly.  It is making me wonder if  we're doing enough.  After reading some homeschooling forums and comparing our curriculum with that of others, I do think we are on track.  We're covering all the major subjects, so maybe just that it's only 3 of us it's getting done quickly.  Today I found a nice little Writing workbook (by grade level) that I picked up for Musa.  It will help him sort ideas and practice writing.  I think he could use that enrichment.   What I've gathered from all my reading is that it is an ongoing process.  You're constantly tweaking and looking for the next thing.  That sounds right to me... you do have to keep doing that.  Eventually you learn how each child learns and what specific things they learn best from. 
So, for any homeschoolers out there or for whoever is interested, here is what we are up to:

Musa (4th Grade): Saxon Math 5/4, Learning Language Arts Through Literature Orange Book, GUM Drops Grammar, LLATL Spelling, REAL Science (Life), The History of the World, Vol I, Quran Classes, Islamic Studies, Spectrum Writing Grade 4, Arabic language

Heba (3rd Grade): Saxon Math Grade 3, Learning Language Arts Through Literature Yellow Book, GUM Drops Grammar, LLATL Spelling, REAL Science (Life), The History of the World, Vol I, Quran Classes, Islamic Studies, Arabic language.

Maryam (KG): Saxon Math KG, Horizons (Alpha Omega) Phonics KG, Quran Classes, Arabic language, and lots of library books and nature study.

Finally, we do spend time outside plus in some sporting activities.  The kids are already showing more eagerness in learning things on their own and in playing better together.  Looking forward to a nice fall, insha'Allah.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that it's going well, Zein! You should be so proud for what you are doing:)

    Cara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Cara. I hope it continues to go well!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Zein,

    I stumbled onto your blog recently and love it! newest addition to my RSS feed..

    My name is Dalia, my parents and A's (your husband) are really good friends and we grew up in the same small 'town'..

    I couldn't find your email address on your blog, and would love to email you for some info on homeschooling.. I need to teach my 6 year old Arabic and Islamic studies at home, but have no clue where to start.. That, coupled with the fact that I have no patience, makes it very daunting..

    Anyway - let me know where I can email you - would love to get some insight from you..

    Keep blogging!
    Dalia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dalia,
    Thanks for commenting! I made my email address visible if you click on my profile from the front page of my blog. Well, actually, why I don't just give it to you now. It's zeinkharrat@hotmail.com.
    Have we met before? Pleae email me and tell me who you are! How did you find my blog, by the way? Looking forward to hearing from you.
    ~Zein

    ReplyDelete