Wednesday, June 15, 2011

CNN Student News

A member on my homeschooling board talked about this link to CNN Student News today.  After checking it out, I've decided to use it frequently during the week.  It's a 10 minute podcast of world news that is aimed at a junior high and high school audience.  However, I'm sure older elementary kids could easily benefit from watching the news clip.  They have maps, quizzes, and discussion questions too!

I'm motivated to use this because our history cycle starts with Ancient History and slowly moves forward over a four year period.  This means we're not covering American History or much civics during these 3rd, 4th, 5th grades.  So just to make sure the kids get exposed to what is happening today, I thought this little ten minute news would help. 

Even families who are not homeschoolers could use this during summer vacation!  It could be a fun little activity to do at breakfast or after lunch or something. Everyone could watch the news clip and discuss for a few minutes, look at the maps (they look nice), and share their thoughts. 

Thumbs up from me!

No comments:

Post a Comment