Sunday, June 19, 2011

Weekly Meal Planner

Assalamu alaikom wa rahmatullah, greetings and peace to my dear readers. 
Last week was not organized, meal-wise, and we payed for it (literally and figuratively!).

Today I went to get some chicken for next week and decided to ask the butcher to cut me a roast.  Then I saw they had some preseasoned kabobs all packaged up.  I figured that would do for today's lunch, and right next to them were packages of seasoned chicken quarters in a tikka masala sauce.  Those will work great in the oven with a salad on the side.  So, here's the tentative plan to use all these meats, insha'Allah, most likely with giant salads to go along since my husband alone can eat a whole big bowl of salad!

Monday: Roast the chicken masala quarters in the oven. Sides of rice and salad.
Tuesday: Pot roast in the crock pot, steamed broccoli, possible salad
Wednesday: hopefully leftovers
Thursday: Shakrieh (cooked yogurt with stewed beef in it, side of rice)
Friday:  Drumsticks... in the oven, roasted.  Salad and/or carrots and potatoes.
Saturday: not sure

Lunches:
Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on homemade bread
Tacos
Pasta with homemade pesto (basil is ready to be picked and used)
Boil some frozen ravioli with a side of veggies
Tuna sandwiches

Snacks: as always I carry those reusable bags I blogged about filled with walnuts and dried cranberries or just plain almonds.  That's what you'll find in my purse, so we snack on those when we're out.  At home I cut up veggies like colored peppers, cucumbers, and put the little cherry tomatoes on a plate and watch them disappear, masha'Allah.  In the mornings we like to have a green smoothie or just fruits.  Yes, my kids do eat junk food, don't think we're all that healthy. They are allowed a bag of Cheezits or some type of cracker/pretzel each day.

4 comments:

  1. Assalam'alaikum,

    If I may suggest: more variety with the veggies on the side (kale, swiss chard, green or yellow beans, rapini, cauliflower, peas, beetroots, etc).

    Have you tried quinoa, bulghur or brown rice to replace the rice?

    What kind of salads do you make? (I'm curious, since I always make the same three or four types of salads, I like a change, sometimes).

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Assalamu alaikom, you're so right Barbara, I could use more variety. My DH loves the salad with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, peppers (green or color), green onion, and dressed with olive oil/lemon juice. Sometimes we add a bit of sumac and some dried bread (or pita chips). I should get more brave with the veggies and expose the kids to them, insha'Allah. Thank you for your suggestion. Z

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't you gardening, this year?

    Here, for salad, it's mostly greek (cucumbers, tomatoes, red onions, green or colored peppers, oregano, olive oil, red vinegar and feta). But these days, I've been using lettuce and aragula from the garden (it's nice with a Dijon dressing). My husband loves shredded red cabbage in the salad, so I add some when I can find organic ones.

    Good night,

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not gardening this year :( My house doesn't have a plot that gets appropriate sunlight, and I'm tired of everything dying or getting eaten (rabbits, squirrels, rats) like they did last year. I only had a tiny few feet to grow in anyway. My husband won't eat those leaves, but I will try to add more of a variety. We have salads almost daily though. I tried the greek version you mentioned and we love it. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete