Monday, July 4, 2011

Pesto Recipe

Assalamu alaikom wa rahmatullah,

Basil is one herb I manage to keep alive in my garden.  It's only one little plant in one pot.  When it looks like I can snip enough to fill a measuring cup (pressed), then I get to it.  I use this recipe from Better Homes and Gardens:
1 cup firmly packed fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup firmly packed fresh parsley leaves ( I DON'T ADD THIS)
1/2 cup grated parmesan or romano cheese
1/4 cup pine nuts
1 large clove garlic
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup olive oil

In a blender or food processor combine basil, cheese, pine nuts, garlic, and salt.  Cover and blend several times and scrape the sides.  With the machine running slowly, gradually add the olive oil and blend to the consistency of butter.

Side Note:  To keep the part I don't use, I freeze the pesto in a half cup mound on a baking sheet in the freezer.  Once it's set, I put the mounds in a ziploc.  This is handy if you're making a lot.  When you're ready to use it, it will defrost quickly.  We put it on Rigatoni, usually.

1 comment: