Thursday, July 28, 2011

Quiet Time turned into Overtime!

Not sure what got into me, but I cooked and baked a lot today. My legs are tired, my feet hurt, and I'm cranky from my cranky 2yr old (!)  I've been working on freezing meals to have during Ramadan.  It's often hard to muster up the motivation to spend hours in the kitchen cooking, so I'll be happy to have a few freezer meals ready! 

I did cook a hot meal for dinner, and in the meantime I prepared a completely unrelated chicken casserole for the freezer. If I had planned ahead I would have combined and used the same meat, but I just winged it today.  Then, as I've been craving CHOCOLATE, I decided to make the delicious double chocolate cake recipe I love.  I happened to notice that the Hershey's cocoa box was going to expire in August, and there was just a bit left, so it was definitely the right time to make a CAKE!
Realizing the first day of Ramadan will be Monday and that my husband will be looking for something sweet to eat after Maghreb time, I knew I'd want to have his favorite on hand: pound cake.  So I whipped up one of those too.  (this is a picture of a previous pound cake, not the one I made today)


Add to all of this washing the dishes, serving and eating and cleaning up dinner, catching up with a good friend on the phone for 45 minutes :D (that was a good part), and then getting the girls into the shower and ready for bed.  Add in a few mishaps here and there (like Aisha flooding the kitchen floor with water from the water dispenser in the fridge)  As soon as I was going to get Aisha's PJ's on, I found her in her bed having just marked on herself and her doll in purple marker.  So, scrap the PJ's and go to the bath.  Start over.  I was really on my last straw at that point and was rushing to pray Maghreb too.  I got her in bed, prayed, then realized the chocolate cake needed some chocolate frosting. Whipped that up, put the whole thing in the fridge and parked it right here on the couch.  Glad I had such a productive day, alhamdullah, thank God.  I'm glad I have a comfy couch and laptop to chill out on after all that work! 
My point was really to make food for the freezer which I did accomplish.  Chicken casserole and part of the pound cake.  I like to cut it in half.  Keep half and freeze the other half for the freezer.  That's what I'll do with this cake for Ramadan.  Probably same for the chocolate cake since I know I'll be scrounging around the kitchen for chocolate after breaking my fast!  Thanks for reading, have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment