Sunday, July 3, 2011

Come to Prayer; Come to Success

Isn't it funny how our perspecitves change?  You could be going along for years thinking one way, and then you have that "ah-ha" moment and realize there is a whole other way out there?  Well, it was during a very spur of the moment and short conversation with someone dear to me (who will remain nameless here) when I had an "ah-ha" moment about prayers, praying, and worship in general.

For those who don't know, Muslims not only pray to God in personal "Dear God, cure me of my illness" type of way, but we have a presribed prayer during which we recite verses and do specific motions (bowing, kneeling, standing).  This kind of prayer is done five times a day at prescribed times, and you don't have to do it right then and there but you have a couple of hours to do it in.  It normally takes about 5-10 minutes tops.  (if you see someone at the airport doing this, don't be alarmed, it might be me) (or in a parking lot, that would be me, too)

So this is one of those basic things you start doing as a youngster.  You learn how to pray, you practice, and you try to establish the habit of doing them all, each day.  Sometimes we question 'why?'.  Why five times, why in this exact manner, why daily, etc.. Some of the answers are easy.  We all worship in the exact same way in the exact same language. Anywhere you go in the world, you can walk into a mosque, stand shoulder to shoulder, and pray with the brother or sister next to you.  But the ultimate answer is that it is Allah's wisdom as to why.  He created me, so I'm going to accept His law b/c He knows what is best for me.

Back to that conversation I was talking about at the beginning of this blog.  This dear person asked me how I find the discipline to pray five times a day.  Said person finds it difficult, sometimes, to read from the holy book daily.  That is when I thought what a blessing it is that Allah the Almighty has built in five times throughout the day when I WILL be remembering and glorifying Him.  Because He knows that if it were up to me to find the time, I might not.  If it were up to me to spend a good hour each day in prayer, on my own, I'd likely find a hundred excuses why I was too busy.  It'd be like how I justify not exercising.  Too hot, too cold, too tired, too lazy, too full, too many kids, you get the picture.  Knowing how important these prayers are and having that strong faith and desire to be on that path will keep me praying, insha'Allah.  And now I am more thankful than I was before that those times are set for me.  If you think about it, we don't really push ourselves to continue a habit regularly unless we know it'll be worth it!  I guess that's why they call it 'doing something religiously' because that is the ultimate motivator!

"Then there has succeeded them a posterity who have neglected and lost the prayers, and followed their lusts; thus, they will face devastation (on the Day of Judgment, i.e., he will face Hell)." Surat Maryam 19:59.


It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:
“Prayer is the best of prescribed things, so the one who is able to do a lot of it, let him do a lot of it.” Narrated by al-Tabaraani (1/84); classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Targheeb (390).
The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), says: “My delight has been made in prayer.” Narrated by al-Nasaa’i (3940); classed as hasan by al-Haafiz ibn Hajar in al-Talkhees al-Habeer (3/116) and classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Nasaa’i.
Allaah does not want to place you in difficulty, but He wants to purify you, and to complete His Favour to you that you may be thankful"  [al-Maa'idah 5:6]

1 comment:

  1. MashaAllah, well said. I enjoyed reading this blog a lot and agree with what you said about having the 5 prayers set for us.

    ReplyDelete