Sunday, December 11, 2011

something *I* have learned from homeschooling

I've had the opportunity twice this past week to talk about why I chose to homeschool the children.  (it just so happens that two people asked me why/how I do it)  Now that I've been doing it a little over a year I've almost forgotton about those initial feelings that lead me to explore it in the first place!  When I think back to those few weeks in the spring of 2010 when I started this journey, the initial reasons are still there and valid, but I've gained dozens more reasons to keept it going.

I couldn't believe how things were changing for the better during those first few weeks.  I mean, all the little extra perks were piling up, and I was just all giddy with our new lifestyle.  I'm talking about the bonus of the kids seeing their dad an extra few minutes a day b/c they're not being rushed out the door.  The bonus of them occasionally eating a hot meal for lunch rather than their packed lunches.  The opportunity for them to do some simple chores in the morning their not being totally exhausted by the time they get done with school for the day.  We slowly shifted from our old routine to a new one that was much more laid back and kind of with a natural flow. 

I get the opportunity to be there to shape their views on key character issues.  I am providing them with quality literature that is well written and with good characters/stories.  When tough situations arise, we are all there to talk about how we would respond. 

To get to do all of this, though, it does take effort of course.  Nothing can be successful without putting your all into it.  You can't do something like this halfway.  And that brings me to one of the more significant replies I've come to give those who question me, because they inevitabley tell me they couldn't possibly do it and that they don't have the patience that I must have.   I often stop them and tell them that I, too, used to think that of others who homeschooled.  I tell them that not only has it built character in the children, but that it built character in me.  This change in lifestlyle has positively affected me.  I wasn't expecting it, really, and it took me answering questions of curious friends to realize that I did change.  I had to.  I had to change in my heart how I saw my children.  I prayed about it, asked for help, and put my best foot forward.  Now, months later, I can say that I have changed, and I think I am a better mom for it.  Alhamdulilaah, Allah is capable of all things, and He can provide for us from places we cannot imagine.  And that's the other thing I like to share with moms who consider homeschooling.  Make your intentions for seeking the pleasure of Allah, and He will provide for you and make you a way.  (and I'm not saying that homeschooling is the only way for Allah to make a way for you to be a good mom!!! just saying how with my intentions for homeschooling along with prayer, I've come a long way)

The struggles haven't been too hard.  I've managed my schedule so that I do some outings on my own once my husband is home.  It's when he's travelling out of town that I feel the full force of not having any time to run errands alone.  I don't even mind being home with the kids, it's when I need something from out of the house that I run into trouble.  I'm used to taking my kids with me everywhere, but the older ones don't have as much patience as they used to, and that's where I'm running into the most trouble!  In a year or two, though I'll be able to leave more of them home alone, insha'Allah.  I'm so thankful that I'm with them while they grow up.  I hope and pray that this will benefit them as they grow.

1 comment:

  1. I have considered homeschooling as well, but have wondered if it is truly for me. I respect the Mom's who can/do homeschool and it is something that is not out of the question for us, but I just haven't been ready to fully commit yet. You do make a very valid point though! It's nice to hear your point of view from a Mom that actually does it!

    ReplyDelete