Wednesday, December 21, 2011

White Chili Recipe

Assalamu alaikom

I tried something new this week in food.  I'm the type who will eat just about anything and don't turn my nose at anything, but when I heard the words "white" and "chili" in the same sentence it made me turn "green".  That was about two years ago. 

Last week I read a recipe online for white chili, and I guess I had a change of heart or something because I felt like giving it a shot.  I just had to make sure not to mentally categorize it with "real" chili which is red, not white, and is made with BEEF, and not with chicken.

I thoroughly enjoyed it and will make it again!  One tip: it calls for a quart of cream.  Since I knew I'd be eating from it over 3 days or so, I didn't add the cream on the day I made the soup.  It wouldn't taste good getting heated, chilled, and reheated, so I just added a little bit of cream daily each time I took a portion out to reheat for lunch.  Also, I used much less than a quart of cream... and that's a good thing, no matter how good cream is!

White Chili
1 large jar white northern beans (or 2 regular sized cans)
1 quart chicken stock
2 cups cooked, diced chicken
1 cup diced onion
1 cup diced celergy
1 4oz jar diced green chilies ( I didn't use these)
1 1/3 Tbsp. minced garlic ( I used about 5 cloves... who needs to count in TBSPs!)
1 1/2 Tbsp. cumin
1/2 - 1 tsp. cayenne pepper depending on how hot you like it
1 quart cream
salt and pepper to taste

Saute onion, celery, and garlic in 2 Tbsp oil.  Add beans, stock, and spices. Simmer 1/2 hour- 1 hour.  Add chicken.  Add cream and heat through just before serving.  Serve with shredded cheese on top if desired.

Sorry, no picture... maybe another time!

No comments:

Post a Comment