Thursday, January 5, 2012

Simple White Cake

Assalamu alaikom

This recipe is specifically for a friend of mine who called me the other day needing a quick cake recipe for some guests.  I cannot believe I forgot about this one.  I use it to make cupcakes, but it can make a square 9*9 cake if you want.  It is delicious thanks to the butter and to, what I consider, a little too much sugar.  It seriously has a slight crunch on the crust when you first bite into it! 

So if you're ever in a pinch (and hopefully have butter, eggs, and milk) this is GREAT to make and decorate or frost as you like.  Today I made 6 batches of it for a Girl Scout function this Saturday.

No pictures today, but maybe after Saturday's event I'll come back and add one!

Ingredients:
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 350*F.  Grease and flour a 9*9 cake pan or line a muffin pan with liners.
2.  In a medium bowl, cream together the sugar and butter.  Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the vanilla.  Combine flour and baking powder, add to the creamed mixture and mix well.  Finally stir in the milk until batter is smooth.  Pour or spoon batter in the pan.
3.  Bake 30-40 minutes for the cake or 22-25 minutes for cupcakes. 

I'm going to link to the website here at allrecipes.com.  You have to read some of the reviews to get a feel for how successfull this cake really is!  Some people add an extra 1/4 cup of milk which I haven't done.  I do recommend beating the heck out of each step as you go.  Beat the butter and sugar a LOT before you even start adding the eggs (one by one).   One lady said she dropped a spoonful of raspberry jam in the batter before baking ... I have to try that!!

Enjoy y'all.

1 comment:

  1. So similar to the recipe you forwarded to me earlier. I made it quickly, we ate it quicker! Everyone loved it. Thanks again Zein! Now I shall try this version, inshaAllah. xoxo

    ReplyDelete