Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Cabbage Stew

So after I made a large pot of stuffed cabbage leaves I had a ton of leftover cabbage that was too wrinkly and curled up for me to stuff.  (I like to use the smooth upper layers and just move on to the second head of cabbage once I start to reach the center of the first one).  I didn't want to let all that slightly boiled cabbage go to waste, so I looked up some recipes and made the following.  It was pretty good, although my kids complained all about it at lunch today.  I told them that's all we were having for lunch, to just eat it, and that it was the same cabbage they'd be eating at dinner.  Ok, so it would be with rice, beef, and spices at dinner, but that's ok.  I like this kind of thing b/c it is light on calories, healthy, and actually hearty.

Stewed Cabbage (I omitted the celery)

Ingredients


1/4 cup butter

2 onions, chopped

1 stalk celery, chopped

2 cloves garlic, chopped

1 medium head cabbage, cut into squares

1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, with liquid  I used a can of Rotel

salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1.Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and garlic and saute for 3 to 5 minutes, or until translucent. Stir in cabbage, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 15 minutes.

2.Pour in tomatoes and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover pan and cook over medium heat for 30 to 40 minutes, or until cabbage is tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment