Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Toddler storytime and other activities

Assalamu alaikom and hello everyone,

This is our fourth week in school, and I decided to disrupt our day on purpose with a trip to the library's toddler storytime.  We did this last year on nearly every Tuesday so that Aisha could benefit from the little storytime they do there.  She  was in awe the first time I took her!  She was just looking at all the other little kids, the moms, and especially the storytime lady with all her puppets, song, and books!  We decided she needed that little weekly storytime, and the big kids would take along Math or some other subject they could do at a work table while I was in the storytime room.  Maryam stayed with me, being a bit young, but the older two worked.  Going back today after a long break, even the librarian noticed how far along Aisha has come as far as knowing what is going on. It was neat to see her know more stuff (animals, colors, counting, etc..)

The Story Room in one of the libraries we go to:


Our new schedule has been working out really nicely.  I tried a new system this year giving each child a block of time to do a certain subject.  I did that because I had to stagger the subjects they need one-on-one time with me with.  Things like grammar, dictation, and other language lessons.  Break times are scheduled, and that's been really better than having it be a floating break. 

The second best thing I've changed this year is having everyone go for a morning jog (or walk if they're feeling lazy) at 7:30 before breakfast.  This is obviously subject to change considering weather and daylight hours, but so far it's been great.  I'm also taking a morning walk earlier than the kids before my husband heads out to work.  I personally love spending more time outdoors, and that's not easy in many places and in many lifestyles we live today.  I'm guilty of not spending a lot of time outside but I sure wish it were different; it makes us feel so much better in mind, body, and soul!

Well, I don't have much direction in today's blog.  What I'm often most curious about is how other moms of many children manage their schedules and chores.  I'm just so happy I've found a way that is keeping us all running smoothly.  I realize this can change at any time, but for now it's awesome.  I'll just describe some of the main "pegs" of our day.  To me, a "peg" is something that happens each day like breakfast, lunch, dinner, prayer times.  We try to tie other activites to a certain peg.  So in order for school to start, the following things have to be done: walk/jog, dress, eat, morning chores.  This is also my time to get out bread dough to bake later, get myself dressed, and to prep anything I might want for lunch or dinner.  Then each child follows his schedule for each subject till we break for lunch.  At the lunch break I switch out laundry if needed, put away morning dishes, prepare and eat lunch, and let the kids play a little.  I get Aisha ready for a nap and also prep anything in the kitchen that might need my attention.  We then finish our last two subjects of the day, pray Duhr, and then each go our separate ways for an hour or so :D 

Once the 'rest time' is over we fold and put away laundry, play outside, snack, and get ready for any out-of-house activity.  This is also another kitchen time for me when I might chop up a salad without dressing, get the rice ready, and clear the table for dinner.

Once we get back from the activity, dinner is ready to go and we just hang out at night.  Usually we have to do a "ten minute pickup" where I set the timer and everyone has to clean up rooms regardless of who played with what.    Preparing the bread dough in the way discussed in Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day has been an awesome new discovery, too.  I have loved baking bread in this easy method.  No kneading and protecting from drafts.  It's a very user friendly recipe, and everyone in this family is so happy with the difference.  Alhamdullah, it's easy to prepare especially since I'm home for blocks of time to give the bread a chance to come to room temperature and then to bake.  Here's a pic of the one I made this morning:


So that's my random outlet for today.  Feel free to comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment