Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Ft. Worth Museum of Science and History

Since we talked about space last week during our science classes, I planned on taking the kids to the Noble Planetarium to see how the Texas sky looks at night.  It was a short presentation, but we were the only people in the planetarium so we got to sit back and relax all we wanted.  The kids were all smiles when it was over~ they had never been to one before!!  In the entryway there were meteors on display along with a real live satellite gifted to the museum from Russia! 

We spent most of the day browsing different rooms at the museum.  It is a great place to spend a day (or many days, to be honest).  We saw a wide variety of goodies ranging from real, stuffed cattle on a recreated old cattle drive to electronic build-your-own aircraft.  The kids built planes with Legos and used unusual materials inside this one room (for 3rd graders and up).  We did take our own food and ate outside, although there are signs all over the museum telling us that outside food is not allowed.  I brought mine in a small bag and we ate outside in plain view.  No one stopped us, and I'm not sure why they wouldn't just designate an eating area for people who want to bring their own food.  I get they want to make money in their own cafeteria, but hey, not everyone wants to pay museum prices for a large family lunch!

I wish I knew how to get my pictures from my iPhone onto my laptop, but I don't right now.  Until I consult with my personal tech-support man, I'll just have to bore you with more words.

We had so much fun that I bought a family membership for up to 8 people.  What's cool about this place is that as long as I am coming with my card, I can bring any 8 people.  They don't have to be related or anything.  I like that.  It's flexible for bringing friends and relatives.  We do hope to go back and acutally go further than the entry hall!  We literally didn't even go further than the entry area and the gift shop.  Those two neat rooms where the kids could've stayed all day were right there at the front, and then when we went to the planetarium upstairs, that's where we saw the cattle thing and the airplane rooms. 

So after every funfilled day, a mom gets to deal with the imminent, impending meltdowns.  Tears, whining, complaining, etc...  sheesh.  If I weren't convinced that these trips shape their minds I wouldn't bother, but hopefully once they rest and return to their cheerful selves they'll appreciate their trip.  And now I will finish my cup of coffee while I wait for dinner in the oven to be done... yep Memaw's Casserole comes in handy on days like this.

Update: And now, after consulting with my tech-support man, I have a folder full of pictures... voila.




2 comments:

  1. This looks like fun! I may want to take the kids sometime ISA!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mona, we could go together. I have a family pass which lets me bring up to 8 people total. Me and the kids will be 5 (you're counted from age 2+), so 3 of you could get in without having to get tickets. We've gone a second time and still haven't had a chance to see the whole place!

    ReplyDelete