Thursday, January 3, 2013

Adventures in my new meal plan

The paper listing the January meals hangs on the fridge.  It's a delight, really.

A funny thing happened.  January 1 came.  We happened to have a lot of leftovers that I did not want to throw out, so I made everyone eat them without cooking the meal listed on day 1.  Turns out nobody really felt like trying Koshari which was scheduled for that day, so we just went ahead to day 2 the next day which was Zesty BBQ Chicken Sandwiches.  Maybe I'll try the Koshari next month.

Since it was the first time to try this, and it was the new year, and I wasn't really on my game, I forgot to actually pull the frozen chicken out of the freezer on that day.  I also kinda thought I might be making that Koshari anyways, but I wasn't, so why I didn't pull the chicken out, I don't know.  However, a few hours in a bowl of cold water defrosted those little bird breasts in no time, and I was able to put them in the crock pot around 1:30pm.  My crock pot cooks really hot, so I wasn't worried about a few skinless, boneless chicken breasts getting cooked in time for dinner.  I followed the recipe exactly, and I had to just help myself to dinner shortly after 5pm (instead of waiting till 6) because it looked and smelled too good! (if you do the math, you'll see that I did not cook the chicken the recommended 6-8 hours on low)  It was a treat for me.  I've been craving something with BBQ flavor, so this shredded chicken really hit the spot.  By the way, I just pulled out two forks and shredded the chicken right there in the pot.  The sauce mixed in with it perfectly and wasn't too messy once in the buns!  Sadly, my husband wasn't too impressed, but I will be making it again whether for lunch or maybe as a backup on a "leftovers" night if we have a little bit of this and that but not enough for everyone.  Look at my picture below.  See how un-messy the kitchen is? It's beautiful.  We had some salad in the fridge from the day before, in case you're worried about the lack of greenery.  Also, I often serve raw carrots with meals since some of my kids prefer raw veggies to cooked ones.  No problem!






No comments:

Post a Comment