Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Day 15's Crock Pot dinner

Right in the middle of my monthly meal experiment and things are going swimmingly.  Even though I'm not going in the exact order of the list, I am still following it along.  Yesterday I made the meatloaf that was originally slotted for the 9th, and today I got out the chicken leg quarters for the BBQ Chicken Pieces in Crockpot which was for day 10.  The leftovers of the meatloaf went to work with  my husband, and we still have a little bit left. 


When I was ready to assemble the meal, I realized I was going to use a new recipe for this BBQ chicken in the crock pot, but I couldn't remember where I saw it.  I started looking things up on my pinterest board and on the homeschool forums I frequent (and from where I got this terrific idea).  I couldn't find it.  But that was OK with me because I know my family has had enough BBQ flavored food (they're not hot on it in the first place), so I browsed pinterest (more specifically, the blog of the lady who cooked for 365 days in her crockpot) and decided to sprinkle the leg quarters with a packet of dry italian salad dressing like this one:
I added a little more garlic powder and onion powder, about a cup of water, and turned it on high.  Once it started to smell good (not longer than an hour later) I decided to put some veggies in.  I put some cut carrots (like 6 big carrots since my peeps like 'em).  I walked out to the garage where I have a big bag of reddish potatoes from Costco sitting in the cool temperature and grabbed only 3 of those because my peeps aren't so in to those.  So I just cut those up in big pieces and threw them in.  Then I whipped out my new BFF, remember who that is, yes, my rice cooker!  Set that baby up for 6:40pm and got ready to head out for the afternoon.  Oh, my 10yr old and I made a tray of brownies first, so we all had a little yummy snack before finally walking out the door. :)

Verdict: the chicken was falling off the bone when we got home at 7pm.  Rice was steaming hot.  The seasonings and spices were fantastic and we all loved it.  I used two forks to take the meat off the bone, but I did not add it back to the crockpot.  I kept it on the side and then we just served the rice, then chicken, and a spoon of the saucy vegetables.  It was great, and I'll make it again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment