Sunday, October 18, 2009

my life: meal planning

Assalamu alaikom and peace to you all!
Today being Sunday, I naturally wander to that place in mind called "What's For Dinner". Yes, there's a whole section in my head for this. It has to be there. I have hungry tummies to feed, masha'Allah, and I better not drop the ball! Years of experience have finally brought me to a very comfortable place where meal planning is no longer maddening. After reading countless blogs, website, and talking to friends about it, I've come to terms with this daunting part of my job. Basically, I have collected 30 main dish recipes that we all love to have for dinner. Well, it's almost at 30, I'm not far off and it takes a special meal to please all of us! So all of these meals have earned a spot in my card box. I've laminated them. Unsuccessfully. What? I used those laminating pages you buy at the office supply stores, but they peeled back and came off the next day!!! Ok, so now I have almost 30 sticky recipe cards, but they are THE top recipes in my life,right? So all i have to do is pick out about 4 or 5 cards that look good for the upcoming week and make sure I've got all the ingredients necessary. Voila. We do our grocery shopping on the weekend (Costco, Safeway, Halal butcher) I cook whichever one I want whenever it is convenient for me. Problem solved! This system has seriously worked wonders for me~ thanks to the ladies at http://littlenannygoat.blogspot.com/2009/05/what-heck-it-30-meal-plan.html

4 comments:

  1. hey zein!
    just found your blog. love all your insight and recipes. im a below-average cook. you have a new follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shay! Thanks sweetie! I love your blog! Thanks for following...you'll be cooking in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Zein~welcome to the blogging world, kind of like FB, VERY addicting!! :) I originally started mine just to leave comments for friends, but have found it's a great way for family to keep up when they live so far away. I went to your suggested site and loved it!! Thank you so much for sharing and I look forward to following you here so you can help me be a better cook for my family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey karen! thanks you for following! knowing how much i talk about food, you're bound to come away with something, God willing!

    ReplyDelete