Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Autumn


Assalamu alaikom; peace.


I've been walking for exercise. I started when the kids started back to school. After I dropped off Maryam at 8:30, I'd come home and go straight out to the trail by my house. I even increased the liklihood of me walking by wearing my walking clothes and shoes before leaving the house. My hurdle was not so much my laziness, but my hesitance to mess up Aisha's morning nap. She normally would fall asleep right after we'd get home from dropping off Maryam and then sleep 2 hours. But this time block was my only chance during the day to get out on the trail. So, I tried it out. I'd put her in the stroller and off we'd go. Most of the time she'd fall asleep, but would wake up shortly after getting home. That reduced her nap time to, like, 25 minutes, instead of 2 hours. I didn't like that at all, but I still did it most mornings.


Then, the weather started up. Windy, cool mornings made it hard to walk with the baby. I knew we had a plastic stroller cover, but hadn't bothered to know how to use it. So, anyway, I did my pilates dvd on the days I didn't walk. This morning was beautiful, though, and I really felt the need to get out there and WALK! So I figured out how to put the plastic on the stroller, and off we went. It was really really beautiful. One of those fall days. Crisp, fresh air. Clear skies, bright sunshine. Little critters along the path, birds chirping, and leaves falling. We even crunched some acorns along the sidewalk. I collected a few leaves from the ubiquitous Bradford Pear trees. They turn some wicked designs and colors!


I'm thankful to my friend who gave me a swift kick in the behind back in August. She said I had to get out there and work it. Walk, run, sweat, whatever it takes. She said I HAD to make that hour for myself, and I would be and feel better. She was right. May Allah reward you habibti and give you good health, too. When I go for one of my walks, I remember her and her great advice. I make sure to praise God often (which is easy to do when you're out in nature). I come back feeling physically and mentally renewed. Here is a verse from the Holy Quran, Chapter 7 Verses 57 and 58:

" And it is He Who sends the winds as heralds of glad tidings, going before His Mercy (rain). Till when they have carried a heavy-laden cloud, We drive it to a land that is dead, then We cause water (rain) to descend thereon. Then We produce every kind of fruit therewith. Similarly, We shall raise up the dead, so that you may remember or take heed. The vegetation of a good land comes forth (easily) by the Permission of its Lord; and that which is bad, brings forth nothing but (a little) with difficulty. Thus do We explain variously the Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses) for a people who give thanks."

No comments:

Post a Comment