Monday, November 2, 2009

Monday's Over!

Assalamu alaikom!

What a day. Monday is housecleaning day, and thankfully, I'm not the one doing most of it. Anita comes over at 8am and we both get to work. So much laundry! That's the first order of business. Then I usually run a few errands after dropping Maryam off. What's nice about having Anita here is that I can put Aisha down for a nap and then leave the house! Woohoo! So, ya, got a lot done today, but I was in the car way more hours than I wanted to be.

I finished up some food shopping that we didn't get to yesterday (Sunday), which leads me to this week's menu!!!!

Today: Roast Chicken w/ Potato and Garlic, mashed potatoes for Heba, salad
Rest of the week's menu cards:
American Meatloaf (as opposed to Arabic meatloaf!)
BBQ Chicken Strips (will probably do them in the oven instead of on the barby)
Laban, Rice (Arabic dish, cooked yogurt with beef cubes served with rice)
Kafta Balls w/ veggies in the oven (kafte=arabic meatloaf)

I made a pecan pie yesterday, but it's almost gone. I don't want to bake more b/c it is too tempting for me! I do end up eating more than I should, so I think I'll take a baking break this week. If you want any of the dinner recipes, just ask and I'll put 'em up here. Tonight's chicken was great... everyone really loved it.

On a little heavier note, I have a PSA (public service announcement). Look out for you kids. Hehehe, yes seems obvious, but I just want to urge you to spend some one on one time with each child, especially as they pass new milestones, and see how they're feeling and see how they perceive themselves and their role in the family. With the oldest child, you don't want to fall into old habits and keep treating him/her like a child or like the younger children. He/she will want some element of control in his/her life, and will want to feel different from the younger siblings. I know this from my own experience as the eldest of 3, and now having my oldest child change out of the 'young kid' stage. He's been feeling frustrated and wishing he were a 'grown-up' so that he could move out and do what he wants. *gasp* I was shocked when he talked like that, and that was my flag to really get to the bottom of his feelings. I remembered our old pediatrician and some advice she gave me a few years ago. I found a way for Musa to have more control. I asked him what things he wanted to change, we discussed them, and we came to new decisions. He was so happy that he thanked me the next morning for a nice talk!

This situation is only a precurser to teen years, which I just pray and pray about all the time. So, ya... stay connected to your kids!


No comments:

Post a Comment