Wednesday, November 4, 2009


I ordered a composting bin!!

I found a really neat wood composter. The wood has had the moisture taken out of it in a slow process called Torrification, and so it will not rot with moisture. Isn't that great! I really like the idea that it is made of wood and not plastic, even though the plastic ones are recycled plastic. Anyhow... I can't wait to get started. Seriously, this totally makes my day. I just cannot stand throwing away kitchen scraps, and now with all the fall leaves on the ground, I couldn't bear it! Alhamdulilaah, I'm so thankful!!! It will take a good 7-10 days to get here, so I will anxiously await its arrival!
It feels so good to do this, and in turn, we send less garbage to the landfills. Masha'Allah, in recent years we have cut down our trash a lot. The bin that gets collected once a week now usually has 2 kitchen trash bags a week, and the recycling bin is overflowing. Add a few small bags full of diapers (ok, that's a huge guilt trip right there), and that's the total trash we send out. What else can we do to reduce waste?

No comments:

Post a Comment