Sunday, November 29, 2009

Where has the dignity of women gone??  For crying out loud, I get more and more fired up about this subject with each passing day it seems.  What’s happened? How did we go from a people, a humanity, who treated women like property to being one who supposedly liberated them when we still accept atrocious standards?  My big problem is not so much with the long ago history of women so much as women of today.  Supposedly a movement came about to liberate women from their boring life in the home to the world of working out of the house.  This spiraled into something that is so confusing that I wonder what state our families will be in in about 40 years.  You know, it might be true that society didn’t appreciate the work women did in their homes and for their families.  Is that what made them want to go be “equal” to men and work like them, keep the same hours as them, and all?  Because to me, that’s not being equal, that’s wanting to be like them.  Equal is accepting that each side has something valuable to add to LIFE.  Did God create men and women the same? NO!  We ARE different people, so why did women chase after being like them?  Anyhow, to me, the benefit of that revolution is peanuts compared to what was lost in the process.  I am proud to be doing my job (that most men could not do), and to be doing it well.  I use skills that professionals use to make their jobs successful, too.  Time management, quality control, punctuality, respect, continuing education, and more.  Why not put their type of effort into raising a healthy family? 
I’m not saying that no woman should work at a job, and I’m not saying all women should stay home.  I appreciate the fact that I can see a female doctor, have female school teachers, and that a husband and wife can choose which arrangement works best for them.  What I am not for is leaving no one behind to hold down the fort, so to speak. 
Anyhow… I didn’t really mean to go on about women in the workplace.  It’s a huge subject that has many sides.  I’m glad the option is there, but I believe it should be used as a last resort instead of a means to support one’s wants and desires to ‘have more’ and stuff like that.  I think we could all downsize the lifestyles we live for one of better quality (quality in child-rearing, eating, and general health).
About the dignity… two things are grating on my nerves today.  One being how women just throw out, delete, erase the name they were born with and raised by for the sake of a man.  You marry a man, not turn into his property or offspring.  Why should you take his identity? You have one.  What happens if you divorce, or if he dies, and you remarry.  You change it back to your old one?  Then you marry again and you change it to the new one?  So who are you?  What are you known by?  How can anyone find you or know who you are without going into the details?  When someone I meet says “I ran into Jane Jones the other day”, but I knew her as Jane Smith, the heck am I supposed to know who she’s talking about?  I just makes no sense to me, and I find I am so annoyed by it. (I think I’m getting cranky in my old age)  I know many of my readers probably did change their names, and I’m sure you had your reasons, but I just couldn’t imagine it.  Take no offense, this is just my opinion.
The second thing is: why oh why do we still let women be used as symbols to sell products?  How CHEAP is that???  Look at this lovely lady and buy our product.  Barf.  We’re still just as backwards as we were when women had no other rights b/c that’s just as degrading, if not more degrading.  It’s using a woman’s body to peddle.  In the Quran you will find Allah, our CREATOR, telling us “.. and do not display yourselves like that of the times of ignorance,” (33:33) and He tells us not to reveal our adornments except to those certain relatives like our husbands, dad,brothers, father in law, etc..  I’m just so irked b/c I saw a woman standing in the window of a store being a ‘live’ model.  No, i don’t think that’s clever.  I think it’s awful.  She’s on display up in that window, all dressed up, for all passers-by to see.  It goes against my principles. 
I have to go now, as my little Aisha is scooting around now and getting into trouble much faster than she used to.  Glad to get this out there.  Feel free to comment.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Zein~I enjoy reading your blog very much, and certainly see your point of view. Let me tell you why I changed my name. For me, it was a way to honor my husband. Now, please don't misunderstand...I am now and will forever more be a Stokes, but felt like I could show him respect by joining him in name also. I figure that I am joined to him in every other way, so that was just something that went with it. I understand women who don't choose to, but for me it was an active choice to do so. As for the women on display...I am right there with you!!!

    ReplyDelete