Tuesday, November 3, 2009

A wee bit irritated

I'm a little irked tonight by more than one thing (!)


First of all, I've found a really great sounding CSA (community supported agriculture) FINALLY here in DFW. Only to find out I have to pick up the produce myself from their farm 30 MILES SOUTH OF DALLAS!!! No thank you. I live about 30 miles NORTH of Dallas, so ya. That stinks. How fabulous of the farms in the Seattle area to provide such convenient ways to support them. I'd buy shares into a farm, and once a week pick up a box FULL of produce, herbs, and flowers from a local resident. The farmers would have drop spots in the major cities, and you'd go pick up from the nearest location to you. I'll keep my eyes open, but so far it hasn't trickled into the big city yet. :(


Second thing is this 'heritage project' my 3rd grader has to do. He's to put his family name on this small poster as the title. Then, he is to design the poster with things that represent his family's heritage. He can't print and glue stuff from the internet. That's fine. But he has to do it on his own and know everything on there so that he can present it well to the class. So I told him to make a sketch (on a separate paper) of what he thinks he'd like to put on it. We talked about Arabic words, clothes, food, etc. Next thing I know he says he's done. He used markers and drew on his poster! He used tiny letter, crossed out spelling mistakes, and in the middle drew a huge picture of palestine and israel fighting. :(


And finally... ever since moving to this house I've been wanting to set up my composter. I had one at my old house, and I really dislike throwing fruit and vegetable rinds in the trash. What is irking me to no end is the cost of composting bins these days!!! Up to $250!!! $400!!! We're talking a heavy, plastic container with a secure lid to compose waste in. There seem to still be a few $50 or maybe $75 ones out there, but that is still a lot for a 'bad' one. I started collecting my food scraps yesterday, so I will find a solution. I just can't stand throwing it all out anymore, and there's nothing better than knowing that you are putting back in to the earth from what you took out. I know I won't make a lot of compost in the end, but that's ok b/c I don't have a lot of land to use it on. The point is: I don't want to throw out the food scraps anymore. So if you have any ideas please share!

And now it's bedtime.... for the kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment